William Telford Gunson was born and educated in Durham, training as a Civil Engineer, Architect and Surveyor. He did his articles in private practice in London before moving to Manchester where he lived on Plymouth Grove. He worked initially for the City Surveyors office before setting up in practice in 1873. He was joined by his son Ernest Gunson who lived on Parsonage Road, Withington, and the firm became known as WT Gunson and Son.
Throughout it’s history WT Gunson has played a major part in the development of the North West property market. The architectural side of the practice, which split from the surveying side was responsible for many of the region’s finest churches, police stations and public buildings such as Lytham Pier and Pavilion, and Hyde Reform Club.